Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Once Upon A Time Two People Decided To Have A Baby...

So I was on the bump a couple of days ago and someone was posting about this lady who had this over the top blog where she documented every single thing about her pregnancy this specific post was about all the crazy stuff she was taking in her hospital bag with her, and they attached a link, so of course I checked it out. Well turns out this lady does blog about every single thing that happens to her, well she had posted a blog about their whole conception process and it made me think that I never really wrote about that,which to me was a very emotional and exciting time, so I'm doing it now. Sort of like a prequel :) We all know how everyone loves those.

So once upon a time... I was graduating from college and Derek and I had talked about waiting until I was done with Law School, at the time i had applied and was waiting for responses, well that plan was set until I got baby fever. We talked and talked about it and did some research in the month leading up to us moving back to California. I specifically went on websites of other women who had been in law school and gotten pregnant during and how it turned out for them.

Back story: For those who don't know me. I started going to college right out of high school and went for 5 years, double majored in Psychology and Political Science and also minored in Campaign Management. During pretty much all of my time in college except for maybe two semesters I took a full load of classes usually 16 units sometimes 19 and I would work at least 35hrs or more a week while doing this. Also during my last couple of years of college I got engaged and married and my last year was dealing with studying for and taking the LSAT and applying to law schools. My friends used to comment on how I was "superwoman" because of all I did and I very much thought of myself as one, so for me going to law school and getting pregnant would definitely be difficult, law school in itself would be, but I thought that if anyone could do it I could, and I think I did rightfully so, even if that's not how it happened.

The Plan: As I am very much a planner I wanted to have a baby in June, because school would be out for summer at the end of May so having a baby in June would make the timing perfect. Plus I also have very specific months that I love, like and dislike and June is one of my favorites :) I happen to be a June baby. So we figured that I would have to get pregnant in September, so that's what we were shooting for. I know that sounded crazy, I went on the Bump's TTC board and of course was told by many women that you can't plan a baby and that getting pregnant the first time is hard blah blah. I know it's true you can't plan it but I was going to plan it anyway and hope for the best.

The Preparation: We moved back to California mid May. We knew that we were going to start trying end of August beginning of September. So we bought, "What to Expect Before Your Expecting" and we would read the book together every night about what things we should be doing to prepare for conception, like how Derek should drink orange juice to help our chances and all the other "methods" that can help. I was very adamant about starting to take prenatal vitamins 3 months before we started trying so we did that and we also started exercising and eating better hoping to lose weight and basically just to feel healthier. Derek and I, even before we got married had several talks about how we wanted to raise our kids and the things that were important to us like how many we wanted to have and so on and so forth so I know we were definitely prepared in that sense. I was on the Nuvaring and in July I had stopped my last cycle of Nuvaring because I want to go a full month without it to help clear up whatever the birth control was doing to my body, I wanted to be as "fresh" as possible if that makes any sense ;) So for that last month of August we just used condoms. I knew the last date of my menstrual cycle and knew when I was ovulating.

Lets Make A Baby: The week that I was ovulating was the last week in August and we followed the things we read in the book. Having sex in the morning instead of at night, only having it once a day; I even would prop a pillow under to help the chances ;) I mean when you're trying one shot to have a baby in a specific month why wouldn't you try everything? I also bought another baby book, "From The Hips", such a funny and informational book.

Baby or No Baby?:
Well obviously we had a baby haha. I knew the week after I ovulated that I was pregnant; I just had this feeling. Derek didn't think that I was, shows what he knows. Well Derek's birthday, as well as my moms, is the 10th of September, I was hoping to surprise him with the news on his birthday. I went out and bought a pregnancy test, the digital ones that say "pregnant","not pregnant" because I thought those were cool instead of the little lines, well I took both of them and they both said "not pregnant". Well of course I still thought I was pregnant, I figured the HCG hormone is not present enough yet to show a positive, made me a little sad because I wanted to surprise Derek on his birthday. I hadn't told Derek that I bought the test well eventually I told him a couple of days after his birthday and I kept telling him that I knew I was pregnant. We went to the LA County fair that week and I remember not getting on any of the rides because I thought I was pregnant. So after about a week and a half Derek told me to go buy another test. I went out and bought one, I had already had 2 negative digital ones, so this time I bought the regular ones with the pink lines I took the test and left it sitting in the bathroom waiting and finally I went to check on it and remember staring at the two lines, one of them was not as solid but it was definitely there and I remember just walking out and saying, "guess what?" and Derek just looking at me like, whatever you're kidding kind of look and I said "I'm pregnant" with the biggest smile on my face and he walked over and looked at the test and had the biggest smile I have ever seen on his face. We cried and just hugged and kissed and enjoyed and shared the moment together.

Then we spent the next couple of hours laughing about how fertile I am and how potent he is haha. I gotta say getting pregnant on the first try did kind of give me an ego :) Making a baby is fun :)I'm convinced that the whole process made us more prepared. I know one of my proudest moments as a pregnant women came from how impressed my doctor was when I told him I had started taking prenatal vitamins 3 months before trying to get pregnant :)

So that's the conception story. It puts a smile on my face just thinking about how fun it was for me to go through this process with Derek.

Post are always better with a picture :) Here is Lexi in her little red dress.

P.S. My brother is having a girl! I am excited to have a little niece and to be an aunt :)

No comments:

Post a Comment